- Ph.D. 2006 – Vanderbilt University, Educational Leadership and Policy
- M.A. 1999 – University of Wisconsin-Madison, Educational Policy Studies
- B.A. 1992 – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, English Education
Areas of Expertise
- State Funding Formulas
- Local District School Finance Policies
- School District Efficiency
- Student Assignment Issues
- Teacher Quality
- Teacher Salary
- Data Analysis
- School Finance
- Economics of Education
A former public school teacher, Houck was a member of UNC’s inaugural class of NC Teaching Fellows.
A noted authority on education finance issues, Eric Houck’s current research focuses on the mechanisms by which teachers and students are allocated across schools and districts, particularly via salary structures and student assignment policies. He is a coauthor of one of the leading school finance textbooks on the market and his research has appeared in publications such as the Journal of Education Finance, the Peabody Journal of Education, Education and Urban Society, and Leadership and Policy in Schools.