About add-on licensure

You are eligible to pursue an add-on license if you already have a current North Carolina Professional Educator’s License.

Birth – Kindergarten (BK) add-on license

You can pursue a North Carolina Birth-through-Kindergarten add-on license if you are already licensed (either A or M level) in a related teaching area like:

  • Early Childhood,
  • Elementary Education, or
  • Special Education.

If you do not hold a teaching license in a related field, you must first earn and clear that initial license in order to add on the B-K license.