Program of Studies
The program of studies, i.e., the courses and curriculum for the Master of School Administration – Hyflex, is made up of 4 parts:
- 21 hours in educational leadership courses;
- 6 hours in instructional leadership courses;
- 12 hours in a paid, field-based, internship + associated internship seminar;
Your academic coursework (27 hours) will take two years (including summer sessions) to complete. Courses are designed to accommodate working professionals from across the state, usually occur within concentrated time blocks of five to six weeks, take place on Wednesday evenings (online) and some Saturdays (online and face-to-face).
Students move through the program as a cohort with classes beginning in July.
Internship for HyFlex Students
Students may choose to complete a full-time or part-time internship. Internships may only begin in the fall semester, although some districts and schools welcome interns to engage in leadership activities during the summer. You must also be enrolled in the accompanying internship seminar. Full-time interns work as assistant principals for 10 months, earning a stipend from the state of North Carolina commensurate with the base salary of a beginning assistant principal.
Part time interns must complete 360 contact hours per year (about 180 hours per semester) at the internship site.
If you are seeking North Carolina licensure, you will also complete a series of artifacts that are aligned with the state’s school executive standards. These artifacts are compiled to form an electronic portfolio that is submitted to the state’s licensure division for review.
Educational Leadership Courses
- EDUC 724: Parent and Community Engagement for the School Executive, 3 hrs
- EDUC 727: The Social Context of Educational Leadership, 3 hrs
- EDUC 740: Cultural Leadership for the School Executive, 3 hrs
- EDUC 741: School-Based Inquiry and Reform for the School Executive, 3 hrs
- EDUC 742: Law for the School Executive, 3 hrs
- EDUC 750: Empowerment Strategies for the School Executive, 3 hrs
- EDUC 731: Organizational Management for the School Executive, 3 hrs
Instructional Leadership Courses
- EDUC 725: Supervisory Practice for the School Executive, 3 hrs
- EDUC 730: Curriculum Leadership for the School Executive, 3 hrs
- EDUC 735: Seminar for Internship in Educational Administration I, 3 hrs
- EDUC 736: Internship in Educational Administration I, 3-6 hrs
- EDUC 737: Seminar for Internship in Educational Administration II, 3 hrs
- EDUC 738: Internship in Educational Administration II, 3-6 hrs