Need Help?

Please contact us at if you have any questions about the licensure process.

Institutional and Professional Licensure Disclosures for Enrolled and Prospective Students

UNC-CH degree programs satisfy the professional licensure and/or certification requirements in North Carolina and prepare students to sit for these exams. However, requirements in other states may be different.

If you are considering a degree programs that may, would, could or potentially lead to a licensure please note that at this time UNC-CH may or may not be able to advise whether a program meets requirements outside of North Carolina. Prior to enrolling in a degree programs, please discuss this important topic with your program of interest.

The following information applies to all UNC-CH programs that lead to a license to work in any level in public schools, i.e., teachers, principals, librarians, social workers, school counselors, superintendents, etc., in North Carolina.

Upon successful completion of educator preparation program degree requirements and licensure requirements for the State of North Carolina, such as, but not limited to, testing and national assessments, candidates will be eligible for an UNC-CH recommendation for a NC license. However, final licensure granting decisions are the sole responsibility of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction not UNC-CH. You should apply for a North Carolina license within 5 years of completing any program leading to licensure. After 5 years, UNC-CH cannot guarantee the ability to recommend for a license due to potential changes in licensure requirements and programs.

Candidates who graduate and seek out of state employment will have to meet the receivingstate’s requirements for licensure. There is no automatic licensure reciprocity between states. UNC-CH will verify the completion of an approved, accredited program for candidates who seek employment out of state, and those candidates will be responsible for working with the receiving state to complete any additional requirements needed to obtain the license for employment.

Applying for a New License in North Carolina

Use the online system at Paper applications will not be accepted by NCDPI.

Instructions for submitting your online application »

Renewing your license in North Carolina

You must renew your North Carolina Professional Educator’s Continuing License every 5 years. (You cannot renew your 3-year Professional Educator’s Initial License).

You are responsible for knowing and satisfying your license renewal requirements. Failure to renew your North Carolina Professional Educator’s Continuing License makes you ineligible for employment.

Update or Renew Your License » at

Out-of-State Licensure and Program Verification

We support our graduates who are seeking licensure in other states or need verification of their program completion.

To request assistance, complete the Licensure and Program Verification Form online.

To ensure timely completion of your uploaded document, ensure you complete the demographic section of the document. Jpegs or picture files will not be accepted.

Note: Please allow 10 business days for completion of any request, and up to 15 days for any request that requires a University Seal.

Additional Licenses

The School of Education serves as the licensing liaison between the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the State of North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.

While the licensure is recommended through the School of Education, the programs are administered through the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Social Work, School of Information and Library Sciences and the Division of Speech and Hearing Science.

Who to Contact »